Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Incident In The Park

I headed up to Boston this weekend to meet my sister and give her pup to her for the day.  Afterwards, my friend and I went to the Boston Aquarium.  (Totally worth the membership - no lines and free admission for a friend).

We had a great time at the aquarium and saw some pretty cool "fishies" (as Katarina would say).



Afterwards, we walked a little bit to the T stop (my legs are still recovering).  On the way, we stopped at one of those parks that have the water shooting out of the ground.  You know the ones where the kids just run around and play in the water coming out of the holes.  If you're not sure what I'm talking about, visit the Christopher Columbus Park - very cool.

Anyway... a bunch of very small kids are running around, many in just a diaper and Katarina wants to join in the fun.  I strip her down to her shorts and shoes (no top) and she plays for a while.  Good times!

When we're going to leave, she's soaking wet and so is her diaper.  What's the logical thing to do?  Change her diaper and put her in new clothes - right?  I start to change her and this lady starts freaking out.  She doesn't have the guts to say it to my face, instead she's standing behind me and saying "don't take pictures, she's changing that kid right there" and "shouldn't that be saved for private?"  

What?  Ok, let me get this straight.  I'm in a park, with only kids and parents. I'm in a corner where you really can't see me but see just enough to know what I'm doing.  And my alternative is to let my daughter walk around in a fully loaded, soaking wet diaper, that will probably give her a rash and not hold in any "pee pee" if she has to go, all because you think changing the diaper on a two year old is inappropriate.

My apologies.... Next time I'll let her get the rash which will bother her for weeks and make her very uncomfortable and cranky - rightfully so. 


3 comments:

  1. Ridic. That woman should be uncomfortable that she was so uncomfortable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have turned around and asked the lady to put on a diaper, run through the sprinklers, and then stay in a wet diaper all day long to see how i feels. Totally NOT cool. I would be upset if you chose to change your child's diaper on a table in a dining establishment, not at a park....

    ReplyDelete
  3. People are such idiots. You did the absolute right thing. Im from Massachusetts. I didnt know you were too : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Me...

Reply To Comments