There's something terribly wrong when people feel that social media is to be used as an outlet for discouragement and rude comments.
I get it, we all have opinions. We all can't agree with every action that someone takes. But that is their choice. Of course, we all have the right to voice our opinions. Say no and try to impress upon others our way of thinking. Express frustration and even hate. But is it appropriate? Are you being the better person? Should this be done through social media?
Over time, I've watched people make rude comments online. I've had them made towards me and confront the person who did it - they apologized and I accept their apology. I recently watched words of discouragement and hate be made to someone I know online that were extremely rude and uncalled for. Even when comments are made out of concern, are they really appropriate? Is it at all appropriate to disagree or argue with someone in such a manner so publicly?
What if people disagreed with my handling of being a single parent and kept telling me how wrong I was through social media? Who is someone else to pass their personal beliefs upon me? What if I was a lesbian and people disagreed with my lifestyle? Or didn't care for my religion? Would it be ok for them to make social media their outlet to comment against my actions and beliefs?
What if people disagreed with my handling of being a single parent and kept telling me how wrong I was through social media? Who is someone else to pass their personal beliefs upon me? What if I was a lesbian and people disagreed with my lifestyle? Or didn't care for my religion? Would it be ok for them to make social media their outlet to comment against my actions and beliefs?
So here's the thing.. Facebook is a public forum. Yes, people can say what they want... but is it ok to do this? In my opinion, no. I don't care how public something is, it's not their place. Express concerns and opinions politely. Express love. Leave the hate for someone that's done something to you or hurt you. Until you've walked in someone else's shoes, try to understand that people are for the most part good and have good intentions. Know your audience and decide when best to tell someone what you think... Most likely, it's probably person-to-person or once a bad or difficult time has passed unless you are a close friend or family member. Things should be done out of concern, not disgust.
I feel like I just talked myself in circles, but hopefully this makes some sort of sense...








1. Those purple boots ROCK. 2. I get nasty comments every now and then on my blog, etc and I don't understand why people go out of their way to make someone else feel bad. Didn't they ever hear the saying if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?
ReplyDeleteNo kidding! I mean, is it REALLY necessary? And the approach is just awful! I think that in a way, social media has given people the balls they never had in real life.
DeleteOMG yes... I don't understand why these overly concerned people hadn't 1. Raised their voices earlier, and 2. Done so with compassion, or at least without insults. Annoys the crap out of me.
ReplyDeleteNo kidding! Apparently someone posed a question on their blog or somewhere about it and it brought a bunch of people over to her page that hadn't heard about it before. It was just so disheartening to think that people thought their words were ok. I'm so glad she didn't see them until now. She's such an amazing and inspirational person! Not sure I could have ever done that!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
Delete