Saturday, June 25, 2011

Why We're Obese

Extra extra, read all about it!  There's an obesity problem in the United States.  That's what I keep hearing on the radio (I don't have cable).  I probably fall in to the "obese" category.  Whatever, I'm still hot!

So I started preparing for the upcoming weight loss challenge I've started for myself, which you can read about here and here, and let me tell you, I'm so not motivated.  Just being honest here, but I do feel accountable to anyone reading my blog so I'm definitely committed - I'm going to do it!  I feel like that's one of the reasons Weight Watchers succeeds.  They hold people accountable with their weekly weigh-ins.  People know how to eat healthy, and if they're not sure, download an app or go online.  You'll be able to find out what is and is not healthy (in case you were wondering, sugar and sweets bad!)

First thing on my list, grocery shop.  I've got to get this house stocked with healthy items.  I've already talked briefly about how I hate to cook.  And when I say cook, I mean all things kitchen related.  I don't like to cut veggies, put things in the oven, put them in a pan, make a mess, and mostly I hate how much time it takes to do everything!  It takes forever.  But again, I'm committed, so off to the grocery store we go!

We hit up the aisles and proceed to the check out.  And then I saw the bill.


Yup, you're reading that correctly... total amount charged $93.99!  Seriously, you wanna know why there's an obesity problem?  No one can afford to eat healthy!

Now, if you are thinking, wow, she bought a lot of stuff.  You're wrong.  This is what I purchased:



Now, in fairness, I did buy milk that you don't have to refrigerate (great for trips), Coke Zero for my adult beverages since I'm cutting out beer, and a razor, my first razor purchase in 4 years.  But seriously, that's crazy!  And what is that, enough for one week?  Can we get some sort of tax break for being healthy?  I mean, this is out of control.  I can barely afford my gas to work.

But again, I'm committed.  Really, I'm going to do this.  I just have to get over the price tag.

So, happy healthy eating to everyone out there!  I'm joining you on Monday!



2 comments:

  1. Eating healthy on the cheap...my way.

    1. Make your own yogurt. I will send you a recipe. I can make 1/2 gallon of organic yogurt for the price of 1/2 gallon organic milk. True story.

    2. Lentils. They are your friend. This applies to all dried beans.

    3. Whole grains in bulk from Earth Fare (or your local Whole Foods equivalent). They are also your friend. I put barely in most everything.

    4. Tofu is much cheaper than meat, and much better for you. Learn how to cook it.

    Good luck!
    k

    ReplyDelete
  2. One way to think about it is think of all of the money you will save one day on medical bills. This year I have committed myself to growing as many of my own veggies (and fruits in the coming years)and canning/freezing as much as is possible. I am not a big fan of the kitchen either but it is amazing how much more fun it is when you are cutting up and eating your own food that you grew yourself. It is a ton cheaper too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Me...

Reply To Comments