I still do this... I still look at certain activities and think "Katarina's too young for that." Ergh, I could punch myself when I do/think that. I think it's because so many times a day you hear that children don't understand things yet. But the reality is, just do it anyway. Why not? Does it entertain you? Does it get you out of the house? Then do it!
That's why I bought my zoo membership. I got it because I was bored and tired of sitting at home. It cost $45 for an individual level membership and Katarina always gets in free. That's right, $45 for year round fun. I did not mistype - year round is correct! Roger Williams Park Zoo is open all year for educational fun. Katarina and I go at least twice a month (probably more) and we're pretty much regulars at this point.
I also have a membership to the local YMCA. Actually, I don't have a membership, Katarina does. It costs $6 a month (that's it!) for her to be a member. And guess what - she's "under age" and can't do anything by herself. What does that mean... it means I must "accompany" her to swim time! I think we'll do that tomorrow.
On days where we just want to get out for about an hour or so, we go to Globe Park down the street. It's fun to go up and down the slides and over the wobbly bridge.
However lately, I've been doing it again. The Providence Children's Museum has a family membership for $80 for a year. I was holding off joining because I figured "Katarina's too young." Ridiculous thoughts get out! If it gets us out of the house (especially since winter's here) then why not! An activity for next weekend!
But this afternoon, we stayed in - and painted! She's always coming home from "school" with stamp art, paintings, and other crafty things so I know she can do it, but I held off thinking "that activity is too old for her." At our Toys R Us adventure, I bought crayon paint and here is the product of our mess...
So if you have any other great ideas for "things to do with children around 1 year old" please let me know! I'd love to add more things to our "regular" activities!







Eek, I don't have any great ideas. Today we have entertained ourselves with little people and cleaning the house!!
ReplyDelete