Monday, June 6, 2011

In Loving Memory...

On September 15, 2010, I was on Facebook checking out what my friends were up to.  I very quickly saw on my friend Leslie's status she had put that a mutual friend of our's, Kelly, had a son that had to go in for an MRI and there were fears of a major problem.  A few hours later, the worst was confirmed and her son Peyton David McCormick, born July 10, 2008, was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor - more properly call a Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma.  Next thing I saw, she was on a plane from New Mexico to Atlanta, GA where we grew up. 

I broke down in to tears.  I mean balled my eyes out.  My phone began to ring from friends in Georgia.  Is he going to be ok?  What does this mean?  The Google searches began as we tried to find out what all this meant.  I could barely see the computer screen through the tears.  I cried so many tears as I do now.

Over the months, I checked their Caringbridge site daily.  Literally, daily.  There were so many good days and it was so incredible to see what an amazing mother Kelly had become.  I mean, AMAZING!  She is so loving, caring, and motherly.  She's patient and kind and so clearly wants only the best for her children and her family.  Her husband, Rob, also serves our country - such an amazing person!  When Peyton was diagnosed, their friend Nick went to fight for our country in Afghanistan in Rob's place, even though he would miss the birth of his child.  It is amazing what generous people are out there.  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!

The McCormick's... Picture Taken From Their Caringbridge Site

I was at the gym when I got the text that Kelly had posted a message that meant the worst for her sweet little boy.  I cried so much and could only imagine what her family was going through.  On June 3, 2011, Peyton David McCormick passed away.  He was only 2.

What the McCormick's may or may not know, is how many lives Peyton touched.  Peyton's story reminded me what family is about and what precious moments we have with our children.  That we should never take for granted every smile, kiss, hug, or cry for momma.  How when I get really really frustrated with Katarina that I need to take a step back and think.  So many times, I look back at Katarina in the car seat and think that Peyton's sitting next to her, watching her, taking care of her, and in turn, taking care of me. 
Sweet Peyton... Picture Taken From Their Caringbridge Site

Peyton was featured in the Atlanta Journal Constitution today and was previously written about in the Evansville Courier & Press.  It's so clear what an amazing family the McCormick's are and I'm so happy for them to welcome Peyton's little brother in just a few months. 

If you want to contribute to Peyton's fight, please consider donating or joining them in Peyton's upcoming walk.  And thank you to all of my personal friends who don't even know the McCormick's for keeping them in your thoughts.

Again, thank you so much to Peyton for reminding me of all the precious moments in a day and that I can never say "I Love You" enough or give too many kiss to Katarina.  Peyton, thank you from the bottom of my heart!  You are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Me...

Reply To Comments