Saturday, November 12, 2011

Thursday Thought - Those Aren't My Shoes

You're not wearing my shoes.  Trust me, I just went and looked in my closet and all my shoes are there and accounted for.  Every. Last. One. 

So this means, you have no idea what it's like to be in my shoes.  I'd suggest if you've never been there, don't make blanket statements that suggest you know what it's like.  I find it very humorous when people do this.  People say things like "I feel like a single mom" or "My husband is gone so much I might was well be a single mom" or "My child doesn't like to go to my husband at night time or when he's hurt, I might as well be a single mom."  Seriously, so many people do this it's funny.

I make absolutely no claims to know what it's like to be married.  The struggles that couples have are unknown by me.  I also don't know what it's like to have a boy.  No idea.  I also don't know anything about having more than one child.  Or losing a family member.  Or anything else that I've never experienced.  Which is why I don't pretend to understand or make statements that my life is any way like someone elses.

It's just kind of annoying that people think they know what it's like.  My life is great!  Do not misunderstand!  I love being a single mom and have blogged about single motherhood before.  I love the fact that I don't have to co-parent.  It's my way - and only my way.

But it also means that the days are rushed.  I'm the only that can get her ready for school, I have to work all day and I'm the only one making an income and have no other source of money.  There's also no break and no family close to help out.   But this is A-OK by me!  We've got things down now and Auntie comes to visit lots, which I LOVE (munchkin doesn't mind either)!

The point is, you most likely have no idea what it's like to be me.  And I have no idea what it's like to be you.  So next time you want to make a statement that compares your life to someone else's, anyone else's, think twice.  I bet they have all their shoes in their closet too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Me...

Reply To Comments