Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Feel Me Up Baby

Oh yea, that's right... Go ahead, feel me up baby!

You always hear about women needing to do self breast examinations every month.  Yea, ok.  If you're like me, you don't.  You go for your yearly visit to make sure all systems are a "go" and you call it a day.

So when two months ago I somehow notice a lump on my booby, I immediately decide it's nothing.  I mean, I'm in my 20's, had a baby, breastfed, I'm good!  I pass it off as nothing.  Nothing to worry about.  Nothing.  It will go away.

It doesn't.  Oye!  My thought process now goes like this:  
Maybe I'll have my sister feel me up.  
Nah, that's just weird
Ok, no really, she's here this weekend... I'll just have her see if I'm crazy and if she can feel anything
Nah, it's nothing
Should I call the doctor?
Nah, it's too small.  It can't be anything
Is it even still there?
Hum, still there...
What the heck is this thing?
Ok, it disappeared - Nope, that's a lie... still there
How come I can only really feel it when I'm standing up - must be nothing
Still there
Go find someone to feel you up!

Yup, and this continued for a solid two months and I didn't tell anyone... Until... I was having coffee, like I do most Sunday mornings, with my friend who's also a nurse.  It strikes my mind that, hey, this is a nurse, she might be able to tell if you're crazy and whether something is there.  So, nurse friend... can you feel me up?

I'm sure it was torture for her, but she had a little feelski.  Sure enough, she felt it.  Oh. Boy.  Still not telling anyone, except nurse friend and a very good friend of mine who's absolutely amazing and currently kicking breast cancer's ass (love you B) and because really, it's probably nothing - please be nothing!  

Next step, call doctor.  Um, hi.  Can you feel me up to?  I would like to see if I'm crazy or not because I'm not 100% sure something is there, but maybe there is and I'm thinking someone besides me and my nurse friend should check this out and see if they feel a lump too.

Appointment is made for the next day.  This is what I say to the Doctor:
I know I"m probably crazy because I'm not really sure something is really there so I'm sorry if I'm wasting your time but I just want to be sure.  

She looks at me like - You're kidding right?  You should NEVER be worried about coming in and looking like a fool and you should ALWAYS come in - I love judge free zones!  The doctor's office, all of them, are judge free zones!

So, I get checked and sure enough, she feels it too.  It's official, I'm not crazy!  Oh crud, I'm not crazy... What the heck is this thing and why is it hanging out in my left booby!

Next step, schedule an ultrasound and mammogram.  The appointment was this morning and rather stress free due to, yet again, amazing doctors!  

And the results were pretty quick - I'm all clear!  

Yup, in the end the ultrasound tech and then the doctor at the hospital felt me up, waived a magical wand, and confirmed it's just some weird lump that has taken up residency in my booby (they were already lopsided anyway so I'm ok with this).

The point of all this is:
1. Don't ever feel crazy about something that you think isn't right.  
2.  Doctors have heard it all - they do not judge you.  They are there to help you
3.  Get checked out - on time, every year and do your monthly self exams!
4.  It's easy to pick up the phone and call the doctor - make your appointments!

So in the end, I'm all good - and you probably are too - but make sure you always take care of yourself!

Much love to B who's always been there for me through all my rough times - you're doing amazing beating the crap out of cancer and we're all here to help you along the way!  LOVE!


2 comments:

  1. I am so glad it turned out to be nothing! Good for you for biting the bullet and getting it checked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a pain in my breast for over a week..... stressed me out so much I couldn't sleep. Called the doc and got "felt up" myself! She told me that she takes breasts very seriously and wanted to make sure I was completly okay with her diagnosis (damaged chest wall muscle due to bronchitis) and made me promise to come back if it didn't go away. Glad to know I wasn't crazy either...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Me...

Reply To Comments