Friday, January 7, 2011

Socially Acceptable

For some reason I keep thinking about what is considered socially acceptable.  Not at all sure why...

I guess for some reason people that only accept what's considered "socially acceptable" really piss me off.  I'm glad I'm not one of them.

Let's be real, I'm not walking around wearing goth, but if you do, good for you!  In fact, when I was forced to go shopping, I went to Gap for a long time.  And then I went to Banana Republic and J. Crew.  Now, I prefer the clothing aisle at Target.  Love Target!

I was thinking about what my friend Ann Marie once told me.  She's been my friend since I was 5 years old and is now married to a great guy and has a newborn named Madison.  At her wedding, which I was honored to be in, her new husband, who I've known since I was 15, turned to her and said "Savannah doesn't do anything in a typical way" (or something like that).  Ann Marie's response was "absolutely not, she'll never do anything in what's considered a normal way." 

Lo and behold 3 years after their wedding here I am single mom to the sweetest angel.  And to all those thinking, what's she talking about, there's nothing wrong with that - I love you and totally agree!  But, there's a lot of people out there who don't agree and think there's something wrong with my "situation."  Those are the same people that have problems with people who are gay, or don't have white collar jobs, or simply dress differently.  They do exist and I hope they realize that their judgments do not go unnoticed and they are very much not appreciated.  Who is anyone to judge others?  You don't have the right and trust me, you aren't perfect either.  People are good and I'm honored to have the love and acceptance of so many.

So Katarina, you keep playing in boxes intended for Christmas trees.  Those that love you will accept you just the way you are - faults and perfections!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Me...

Reply To Comments