I've always been a rather public person. Wanna know something about me? Just ask! Open book!
Well, almost... There are very few things that I keep private, but as I get older, I want my privacy respected more and more. It's strange and rather foreign to me.
If you're close to me, trust me, you hear it all - right down to my last bathroom visit. But I'm finding there are some things I'm just not comfortable sharing. Things that in the past, I'd totally tell you, or anyone else, about (whether you wanted to hear about it or not).
I've always felt I respected someone's privacy. I don't share secrets - at least in my older age I don't. It's not my business. It's not my story to share. And it's none of your business either. So many times recently I've found myself tell someone NOT to tell me something because I don't want them sharing something that they are not comfortable with or that it's none of my business and I feel like they are not respecting someone else's privacy by telling me. My curiosity used to drive me nuts, but now, I forget about it almost immediately when someone tells me they don't want to share something with me.
So the moral of this, be respectful. Whatever is going on in someone else's life most likely does not effect you. It's ok not to know everything. It doesn't mean someone isn't still your friend, or value you and your opinion. It simply means they are comfortable sharing and it many times has nothing to do with you. Don't fret about it, just respect it.
When someone is ready, they may share their with you, or they may not. Only time, and more importantly a display of trust and respect, will tell.








No comments:
Post a Comment