Sunday, July 31, 2011

Birth Story

Here's my little girl's birth story...

My due date was my birthday, July 28th.  My dad flew in July 26th in preparation for the delivery.  July 28th came and went.  Then July 29th, 30th, and I thought for sure I would have an August baby when by 11:00am on July 31st I still wasn't in labor.

I was still working because there was no way in the world I was going to not go to work and waste time on the back end with my little one.  Everyone at work thought I was crazy and I think every day I continued to show up they were shocked I hadn't gone in to labor the night before.  There was always a running joke that my water would break at work.  I figured out that given the number of hours in a day, the percentage of women who's water breaks before labor, and the number of minutes I'm at work in a day, there would be only about a 5% chance of my water breaking at work...

At 12:00pm, my water broke at work.  Yup, sitting on my chair at work and there goes my water.  I walk quickly to the bathroom and don't say a word to anyone.  Someone else was in the bathroom and as I sat on the toilet and saw a significant amount of water come up green, I knew my water had officially broke - and that she had a bowel moment already.  I asked the other person in the bathroom to go grab my phone off my desk and bring it to me. 

I called my dad and said I was pretty sure my water broke.  I think he thought maybe I was exaggerating because he asked me if I was sure and then said I should call the doctor first.  I called the doctor and they said to get to the hospital immediately because of the mecodium (bowel movement before delivery). 

After a little fiasco at work, my good friend Adam drove me to meet my dad halfway.  Once I met my dad, I headed back home.  Even though I was 3 days late, I had yet to pack a bag and I needed a shower first. 

We got to the hospital about 2:30 and they wanted to make sure I had actually broken my water.  I'm like, really?  I'm having to borrow a towel to sit on the chair because there is green disgusting water dropping all down my legs and you "aren't sure if my water broke?"  Let's just say the doctor spent about 2.2 seconds down there before she said she wasn't even going to test the water because there was no doubt that it had broken.  She also informs me that because of the mecodium, when I deliver, they will not allow her to cry and not be alarmed.  She will come out limp and they will immediately take her away to a specialized team of doctors who will be standing by during delivery.  As long as they can clear out her lungs, they will bring her back.

Problem was, I wasn't going in to labor.  They took me upstairs and I met my wonderful nurse, Nicole.  She's asking all these questions and my dad leaves the room for a second.  I quickly tell Nicole that I have a tattoo that my dad does not know about and does not need to know about.  I also inform her that my dad has never met my soon to be daughter's father and that he might show up.  The reasoning why they never met until this point is a whole other story!

Well, I'm put on pitocin at around 4:00pm and it definitely starts to kick in quickly.  I'm in tons of pain and I'm throwing up.  The nurse had told me that if/when I want an epidural make sure I tell her about 30 minutes early because it can take that long to administer.  At 5:30, against my dad's wishes, I'm telling the nurse I want the drugs!  Give me the drugs!  She calls in the order.

It's not until 6:30 that the doctor shows up.  I had heard tons of stories about how much easier it is to get the needle when you are really relaxed.  Just as they are about to give it to me, her father shows up.  My dad is in the hallway so they still hadn't met.  I get the needle and was ridiculously relaxed because I knew it would be easier.  I didn't feel a thing and it didn't bother me in the least.

Then my dad walks in... time for introductions!  Dad this is B, B this is my dad.  Introductions finished.  At this point, I look over at my nurse and she's chuckling like you wouldn't believe. 

We had been told that once I got an epidural the labor would slow down a lot.  The nurse said the chances of me having a baby that day were slim to none.  Shortly afterwards, they move me around and my dad sees my tattoo.  He tells me he just realized what my IQ was.  That was the last of that.  I mean, what was he going to do?  Get mad at me while I'm in labor?  HA!

By about 7:30, I'm asleep.  Yup, sleeping!  The doctor came in once to check me and said I had some time.  So I went back to sleep but occasionally I hear B and my dad talking about the baseball game on the TV - awkward! 

The doctor came back around 10:15 and says I'm actually progressing nicely and I can either keep sleeping or start pushing!  Yea right, work or sleep?  I choose sleep.  At about 10:45, the doctor comes in and says I don't have an option and they are preparing me to push.  It took them about 8 or 9 minutes to get me ready.

I have one contraction which I push through twice and then she's here!  Born at 10:55pm 7bs 4oz and 18 1/4 inches.  The specialized team of doctors come out of no where and rush with her to a separate room.  The doctor later tells me that this was the fastest he's ever seen a first time delivery and he's been delivering babies for 35 years!
So this is a little awkward.  My dad and B go with Katarina and all these other doctors and I'm left alone with my nurse and the delivery doctor.  I'm just hanging out.. just chillin'... after delivery... and I haven't met my daughter yet...

My first question - did I poop?  You hear all these stories about pooping during delivery so I was just checking.  What else was I going to say?  He didn't know how she was doing and I was just layin' there.  My second question, did I tear?  Yup, but only 2 stitches worth.

They bring my sweet girl back and she's healthy and happy!  I feed her a little and then we get wheeled up to my semi-private room.  Katarina gets sent to the nursery to get checked out a little more.  I knew I had a long road ahead of me in single motherhood so I let the nursery keep her for the first night, and the second.  I then wake up and have to pee.  I mean really really have to pee.  I'm told I have to call the nurse for my first bathroom visit after delivery.  It was the longest 5 minutes ever waiting for her to come.  I peed the longest pee of my life!  My bladder must have almost exploded.

So that's how my journey down this crazy road called motherhood began.  Two years ago today!  Happy birthday sweet little girl!!! I love you!

 Notice the time... we aren't even close to ready to push and she was born at 10:55!
 First time holding her... I'm on the phone with my mom.
 Dad looking more tired than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Me...

Reply To Comments