Wasn't planning on posting anything tonight. In fact, I'm in bed.
But I was stumbling (if you haven't checked it out, you should) and came across a blog post, which I thought was very well written. So well in fact, I decided to read the corresponding comments. One of them caught my eye and I decided to check out their blog. Turns out, it was a single mother and she's quite a lovely writer. In general, I'm with her!
One of her tags, like mine, is single motherhood. I clicked on it and read a few posts - very nice overall! But then I started reading one single paragraph that really got my goat. Basically, I feel judged... by someone I don't even know - never even heard of until tonight.
I'm not going to go in to what she said because honestly, I'm not here to offend anyone. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. So... let me share mine (click that "X" button right now if you're not interested)
You do not have to be married to have a child. Guess what, this sweet daughter of mine wasn't planned... know what else... she freakin' rocks! You don't have to have a man around to complete a family. Nope, not necessary. Want proof? Right here! I have an immediate family. There are two of us. It didn't take three.
A man can not destroy your family. A man can break your heart, leave you feeling horrible, and a bunch of other emotions that totally suck, but we all have choices. Many of them are not easy, but they are choices. I chose to not let anyone else determine how I was going to parent and not allow one person to destroy my family. End. Of. Story.
I also read that all women deep down want their baby's daddy to not have another family. Well, I'd like to not think I'm alone here when I say this - I could not care less! Honest! A huge part of me really hopes that he meets someone and has another child... then again, he has two other children so maybe that's enough for him. I really couldn't care less! The happier he is, the less likely he is to show up at my door. So please, marry the love of your life, have more kids, enjoy life! It's not worth my time to be angry - and I'm not, honest - not one ounce of me cares either way.Now let's be real, I did not get here over night! Trust me, I've had my reminders from the past and ups and downs in single motherhood and shed a few tears, but hot darn I'm happy! (Yea, I just said hot darn)
Nobody's story is the same. I try not to generalize, but I'm sure I've done it a lot. This is my story, only mine, but my story started with some rough times but since then, it's been blissfully sweet! I hope yours skips the rough times, but if it doesn't, I hope it turns out wonderful!
Get the bad out of your life. It's a new year, enjoy it. Remember, it's all about the ride of life, the journey. Don't let anyone tell you you've done things backwards - In my opinion, I wouldn't have done this any other way - my family is complete and I didn't need a man to do it.








Oh, where to begin?? I, too, was a single mom before I got remarried to my current husband and I'm sorry, but single moms ROCK. I know first hand how much work it is and I have the upmost respect for moms that pull it off and pull it off well. Both of my kids were planned and I was married to my ex at the time they were both born. He left a few months after my second was born. After figuring out how to manage my life, it ended up being the best thing that ever happened to me and my kids. They have a better relationship with their dad now and I am genuinely happy that he is remarried and happy, too. I love his new wife and I actually think I like her better than him LOL.
ReplyDeleteAs long as you and your daughter are happy, that's all that really matters and it looks like you're doing a good job :)
Isn't it funny when you like the new Mrs or the X-girlfriend? It's funny how so many different relationships come to be!
Delete